Timothy Steele is an American poet and academic.
Some of Steele's early verse appeared in X.J. Kennedy's Counter/Measures in the early 1970s. He went on to become a key figure in the New Formalism movement, and was an original faculty member of the West Chester University Poetry Conference on Form and Narrative in Poetry.
Steele is the author of five books of poetry, among them, Sapphics Against Anger and other poems (1986). His poetry is more strictly "formal" than the work of most fellow New Formalists in that he rarely uses inexact rhymes or metrical substitutions, and is sparing in his use of enjambment.(Citation needed) He is also the author of two books on prosody: Missing Measures, a history and evaluation of modern free verse; and All the Fun's in How You Say a Thing, an introduction to English versification.
He received the Robert Fitzgerald Prosody Award in 2004.
- Uncertainties and Rest. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1979.
- The Prudent Heart. Los Angeles, CA: Symposium Press, 1983.
- Nine Poems. Florence, NY: Robert L. Barth, 1984.
- On Harmony. Lincoln, NE: Abattoir Editions, 1984.
- Short Subjects. Florence, NY: Robert L. Barth, 1985.
- Sapphics against Anger, and other poems. New York: Random House, 1986.
- Beatitudes. Child Okeford, Dorsert, UK: Words Press, 1988.
- The Color Wheel. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994.
- Sapphics and Uncertainties: Poems, 1970-1986. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press, 1995.
- Toward the Winter Solstice. Athens, OH: Swallow Press / Ohio University Press, 2006.
- Missing Measures: Modern poetry and the revolt against meter. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press, 1990.
- All the Fun's in How You Say a Thing: An explanation of meter and versification. Athens, OH: Ohio University Press, 1999.
- The Music of His History: Poems for Charles Gullans on his sixtieth birthday. Robert L. Barth, 1990.
- The Poems of J.V. Cunningham. Athens, OH: Swallow Press / Ohio University Press, 1997.
- "Toward the Winter Solstice"
- Timothy Steele profile & 4 poems at the Academy of American Poets
- Timothy Steele b. 1948 at the Poetry Foundation.
- Timothy Steele at PoemHunter (16 poems)
- Audio / video
- Timothy Steele Official website.
- Interview by Cynthia L. Haven in Cortland Review, June 2000
- Interview by Kevin Durkin
- "The remarkable unremarkable meter of Timothy Steele" at Rain Town Review
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|
| This page uses content from Wikinfo . The original article was at Wikinfo:Timothy Steele.|
The list of authors can be seen in the (view authors). page history. The text of this Wikinfo article is available under the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.