Mueller was born in Hamburg, Germany, in 1924 and immigrated with her family to America in 1939. Her father, Fritz Neumann, became a professor at Evansville College. Her mother died in 1953. "Though my family landed in the Midwest, we lived in urban or suburban environments," she once wrote.
Mueller has written book reviews for the Chicago Daily News.
She and her husband, Paul Mueller (d. 2001) built a home in Lake Forest, Illinois in the 1960s, where they raised two daughters and lived for many years. Mueller currently resides in a retirement community in Chicago.
The Need to Hold Still (1980) received a National Book Award.
Alive Together: New & selected poems (1996) won the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry.
- Lamont Poetry Prize (1975) for The Private Life
- National Book Award (1981) for The Need to Hold Still
- Pulitzer Prize for poetry (1997) for Alive Together: New & Selected Poems
- Carl Sandburg Award
- National Endowment for the Arts fellowship
- Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize (2002)
- Dependencies. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1965.
- Life of a Queen (chapbook). LaCrosse, WI: Juniper Press, 1970.
- The Private Life. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1976.
- Voices from the Forest (chapbook). LaCrosse, WI: Juniper Press, 1977.
- The Need to Hold Still. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1980.
- Second Language: Poems. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1986.
- Waving from Shore: Poems. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1989.
- Learning to Play by Ear: Essays and early poems. LaCrosse, WI: Juniper Press, 1990.
- Alive Together: New & selected poems. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1996.
- Marie Luise Kaschnitz, Selected Later Poems. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1980.
- (Translator) Marie Luise Kaschnitz, Circe’s Mountain. Princeton, NJ: Milkweed Editions, 1990.
Audio / videoEdit
- Lisel Mueller (cassette). Kansas City, MO: New Letters, 1981.
- Lisel Mueller: A reading, October 28, 1981 (cassette). Tucson, AZ: Tucson Poetry Center, 1981.
- Irving Feldman and Lisel Mueller: Reading their poems in the Coolidge Auditorium, Mar. 29, 1982 (tape). Washington, DC: Library of Congress, 1982.
- Visiting Writers Series (CD). Portland, OR: Reed College, 2011.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Lisel Mueller, NNDB. Web, October 29, 2006.
- ↑ Lisel Mueller at Western Illinois University Web site, accessed October 29, 2006
- ↑ Curriculum Vitae by Lisel Mueller 1992 at Academy of American Poets Web site, accessed October 29, 2006
- ↑ Lisel Mueller b. 1924, Poetry Foundation, Web, Jan. 29, 2012.
- ↑ Search results = au:Lisel Mueller + audiobook, WorldCat, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. Web, Sep. 27, 2016.
- Lisel Mueller profile and poem at the Academy of American Poets.
- "Immortality" at Poetry 180
- Lisel Mueller b. 1924 at the Poetry Foundation.
- "Another Version" and "Scenic Route"
- "Poems by Lisel Mueller" Web page at Plagarist.com
- Lisel Mueller at PoemHunter (17 poems).
- Audio / video
- Lisel Mueller at YouTube
- Newshour PBS television program transcript of interview: "Pulitzer Poet" April 14, 1997
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|