Born at Parkindale near Salisbury, New Brunswick, he was a graduate from the University of New Brunswick. From 1867 to 1871, he taught at the Bathurst Grammar School. From 1872 to 1889, he was the Headmaster of the Fredericton Collegiate School, where the poets Charles Roberts, Bliss Carman, and Francis Sherman came under his influence. He attended the University of Oxford in 1873–1874. From 1895 to 1902, he was the Headmaster of Upper Canada College.
He was the Organizing Secretary of the Rhodes Trust (1902–1922) and the Toronto Round Table Group (1910–1922). Lord Milner was an ardent admirer of Parkin's imperial ideas. He was the author of Imperial Federation: The Problem of National Unity (1892) and a school textbook, Round the Empire.
He was appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in 1898 and Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG) in the 1920 New Year Honours for his work with the Rhodes Trust.
He was the maternal grandfather of the philosopher George Grant.
- ↑ http://www.uwo.ca/english/canadianpoetry/georgian_and_edwardian/F_Sherman/complete_poems/memoir.html
- ↑ Parker ed., C.W.. Who's Who and Why: Volumes 6 and 7, 1915-1916. pp. 1139. http://books.google.com/books?id=dy9if3Yix8UC&pg=PA1139&lpg=PA1139&dq=parkin+fredericton+headmaster&source=bl&ots=lptQ1gKp9-&sig=Orrh_UmTk0sQRM9T6rZeaDujtrg&hl=en&ei=gNdqTYPfLtH0gAfN1KnxAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=parkin%20fredericton%20headmaster&f=false.
- ↑ http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/SirGeorgeParkin-CanadianHistory.htm
- ↑ London Gazette: . 30 December 1919.
- Template:Wikisource author-inline
- Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character "[". in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|
| This page uses content from Wikinfo . The original article was at Wikinfo:George Robert Parkin.|
The list of authors can be seen in the (view authors). page history. The text of this Wikinfo article is available under the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.