He was born in Folkstone, the son of a tailor and a housemaid, and had little formal education. He left school at the age of nine to work as an errand boy for a Jewish trouser maker in Whitechapel during the period of the Jack the Ripper murders.
In the early 1920s, and still unpublished, he was in Oxford and a leading light of a literary group, the New Elizabethans, who met in a pub to read Elizabethan drama. W. B. Yeats sometimes attended the meetings. At this period he met Richard Hughes and Edgell Rickword, amongst others.
His poetry was included in the Oxford Book of Modern Verse (1936).
- Hips and Haws. Waltham St. Lawrence: Golden Cockerel Press, 1922.
- Yokohoma Garland & Other Poems (1926)
- Pelaga and Other Poems (1926)
- The Collected Poems of A. E. Coppard (1928)
- Cherry Ripe: Poems (1935)
- Simple Day: Selected Poems (1978)
- Adam & Eve & Pinch Me. 1921. New York: A.A. Knopf, 1922.
- Walks in Heaven. Waltham St. Lawrence, UK: Golden Cockerel, Press, 1922.
- The Black Dog and other stories. New York: A.A. Knopf, 1923.
- Fishmonger's Fiddle: Tales (1925)
- The Field of Mustard (1926)
- Silver Circus (1928)
- Nixey's Harlequin (1931)
- Fare Please! (1931)
- Crotty Shinkwin and The Beauty Spot (1932)
- Dunky Fitlow (1933)
- Ring the Bells of Heaven (1933)
- Pink Furniture (1935)
- Polly Oliver (1935)
- Ninepenny Flute (1937)
- You Never Know, Do You? (1939)
- Ugly Anna (1944)
- Fearful Pleasures (1946)
- Selected Tales (1946)
- The Dark Eyed Lady – Fourteen Tales (1947)
- Collected Tales (1948)
- Lucy in Her Pink Coat (1954)
- Selected Stories (1972)
- The Collected Tales of A. E. Coppard (1976)
- The Higgler and Other Stories (1991)
- The Man from the Caravan and Other Stories (1999)
- Father Raven and Other Tales (2006)
- It's Me, O Lord! (1957)
- Everett F. Beiler, The Checklist of Fantastic Literature, Chicago:Shasta Publishers, 1948), 83-83, Print.
- Fabes, Gilbert H., The First Editions of A. E. Coppard, A. P. Herbert and Charles Morgan, 1933 London: Myers.
- Saul, George Brandon, A.E. Coppard: His Life and Poetry,1932, University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D. dissertation.
- Schwartz, Jacob with foreword and notes by A. E. Coppard, A Bibliography of A. E. Coppard - The Writings of Alfred Edgar Coppard, 1931.
- ↑ http://www.thisisfolkestone.co.uk/famousresidents3.htm
- ↑ Richard Perceval Graves, Richard Hughes (1994), p. 52.
- ↑ "Coppard, A.E", in Brian Stableford, The A to Z of Fantasy Literature. Scarecrow Press, 2005 (p.89).
- ↑ George Coppard, With A Machine Gun to Cambrai, (1969), p. 16.
- ↑ Hips and Haws. Poems (1922), Internet Archive, Web, June 19, 2012.
- ↑ Adam & Eve & Pinch Me (1922), Internet Archive, Web, June 19, 2012.
- ↑ Walks in Heaven. Tales (1922), Internet Archive, Web, June 19, 2012.
- ↑ The Black Dog and other stories (1923), Internet Archive, Web, June 19, 2012.
- AE Coppard at the Supernatural Fiction Database
- Archival material relating to A.E. Coppard listed at the UK National Register of Archives
- A. E. Coppard at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. (view article). (view authors).|